Wednesday 27 July 2011

I don't think I can be a travel writer

Bill Bryson has this amazing ability to write a travel log. I dunno how he does it! Here I have an amazing story to tell and I can't find a decent enough way to start.

A lot went through my mind today, as I walked the 15 mins from Chandni Chowk metro station to Red Fort. Having being cooped up inside the house for five straight days, all alone, I had had enough. It was decided, Lal Qila it was.

I have always prided myself, for having lived around the country, having lived the life of so many places, of shared cultures and regional emotions. Having lived mostly in the metros offlate, I seem to have forgotten the real India.
Chandni Chowk that way was incredible. It reminded me of a city described by Dominique Lapierre in the city of joy. Yes, this is not Calcutta, but the hullaboo was all there. There was rhythm in the chaos. Stark poverty contrasted with the bustling commerce. There was a temple right next to the gurudwara, which was a stones throw from the mosque. The myriad attire ranged from the flaming orange of the yatra devotees to Linkin Park tee shirts, from skull capped heads in white to sequined pink saris, from the dirt on the clothes of the street beggar to the man with the sharp black tie. I dunno why, walking down this bustling crowd, through the dirt and the muck was exhilarating. There was nothing right about the place but neither was there anything wrong.

The energy was contagious, it stays with me right now too.

Take Care

P.S. Frankly, Red Fort was a let down. With all the security checks, and the fancy tickets all I can say is that the Archaeological Survey of India better buck up and get something done. For a national monument and a world heritage site, it feels like ruins are better maintained.
But, the thing about going to a national monument in India, is not all about seeing the place. Its like a trip around India. You usually end up hearing 70% of India's major languages, you get to hear at least 4-5 regional songs, get a look at the dress code in the country. Its like the annual day in school, Unity in Diversity. All that combined, you also get a sneak peak into world. ;)

No comments: