Sunday 20 November 2011

Letting Go!

I am a junk collector and come from a like minded family. For a bunch of three wandering souls we have a lot of stuff between us. It finally got to us. We had to let go.

Dad and I started work on a room aptly defined by us as our cloak room. At home we always have people in transit; and this room yesterday resembled the "Room of Requirements" (for all the Harry Potter Fans out there). You could find anything in that room. It could have been a "lost and found" at a busy railway station, considering the number of bags that room contained.

It was a treasure trove of our lives. As we threw away the many empty boxes of things gone past. I relived the last few years of my life. I found a 2001 cd of Encarta Encyclopedia and laughed about the progress we as humanity had made with technology. We wondered what to do with our large number of cassettees ( They are still with me, I wonder if I can throw them away) and played the old music in my head. I found my college notes and the large bunch of research papers I had read, which made me look back at the life choice I left behind. I found an old postcard from a dear friend with a painting of a Parisian day in the rain ( That got tucked away in my treasure trove, wasn't junk was it). I threw away a lot today and helped my dad get rid a lot more.

Junk was it? Well it was... But letting go was just as hard. I feel good that we let go... Life goes on and we need room for new memories and new mementos.

Take Care.

1 comment:

Rohit said...

:-)
I find it difficult too, to throw out stuff. Was the painting by someone I know? ;-)