Monday 25 October 2010

Status Message

Most of us read too much in a status message. I am sure we spend at least 5 minutes of our day, reading what people on our Gtalk list (and whatever else) have to say about themselves, their lives and their thoughts.

We think a lot about what our status message should be for the day. Some of us are witty and come up with something which brings a smile to the readers face. Quite a few decide to copy a quote or a saying. Then there are a few who actually tell everyone what they are really up to.

I think status messages are banners, almost screaming out in pin drop silence. They are a window to what you want to show the world about yourself. But the only problem is like House says, Everybody lies. OK not really lies, but why would you want to tell the world that you are so really want to kill the guy next door cause he is really driving you nuts, so your message reads instead 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'. We like sounding smart and well read.

I just got asked what the smiley on my status message meant. I guess a just did not want to be left with busy or available, but that's never an acceptable answer.

I love reading status messages. And I think they are a beautiful window into somebodies mind.

I wish I wasn't always expected to keep the window open.

Take Care

4 comments:

ani said...

As I said every1 tries 2 b a philosopher while putting up status msgs. 'Cas being 'philosophical' is cool. Also, 'status' msgs seldom give the true 'status' f a person. The only utilitarian purpose they serve is that they r good conversation starters.

Onkar Parrikar said...

Indeed, status messages are windows. I too like reading status messages, and coming up with witty ones. I've had many a depressing days, when I couldn't come up with a good status message. Ironically, depressing days churn out good status messages... so in the end it all works out well.

But to say that people try to come up with profound messages to appear "cool" (w.r.t the first comment) is, in my opinion, cynical. It is much more satisfying to read a well-worded and crafty message, to cogitate over it, and then grasp the underlying subtleties, than to read a by the way statement. In Sanskriti's terminology, it's always desirable to have an aesthetically pleasing window!

Aniket said...

I agree with the second commentor. And I dont think A LOT of people like to read status messages. They are for your own satisfaction.


--
Aniket Singh

Anonymouse said...

I like to read status msgs =)