Sunday 31 October 2010

Diwali

I am really trying hard to start writing this post and not make it sound like an essay which all of us have written at one point of time in school. You know the whole, the coming home of Ram and the Nirvana for Lord Mahavir, and Laxmi Pooja and Kali pooja and some more thing I can't enumerate right now. But for me Diwali is all about the little things.

I love waking up in the morning on Diwali day buying garlands of marigold on the way back from the temple. Then spending the morning putting up these flowers all around the house. Then there is the Rangoli which mom usually ends up making but where I butt in putting my touches here and there. The casual lunch that we have with something simple but what we all like a lot.

But its evening what I really wait for, when we all spend time filling up what seem like countless number of diyas with oil. And as it starts getting dark outside, we light those up and there is this heat they emit and the smell of oil. Then the hour that we spend keeping them all around the house. I like the smell of burning crackers that fill the air as the night goes by. And then the refilling of the diyas when the oil seems to be ending. I like the lights and the sparkles in the sky. I like how everything looks and clean and then the roads become littered with the cracker paper at the end. I like the sweets and the chaat. I like how its a little cold(at least in the north) and how the lights bring a little warmth.

I like how all the roads seem to shine and all the shops are well lit. I like the few days around this time when everything seems to wake up at night and make things shine.

I really like how Diwali make this whole country bright for at least that night. Its just Diwali and I look forward to this one.

Hope you have a blast.

Take Care

2 comments:

P said...

Ah. I miss Diwali with all its little details. The climbing up on random corners to put diyas/candles, the earthern diya structures (?) you keep in the garden, and trying to save the dogs from crackers :)

Aniket said...

I miss the Diwali, in which I am free to do what I want to and celebrate it the way I like. And not be pushed by people to do stuff. God, I am tired of doing things under external force.